Why hello again! Firstly, I apologize profusely for taking almost a month to get a post up. All I can say is that I’ve been quite pressed for time in recent weeks. Somehow, what’s supposed to be a relaxing summer always becomes the exact opposite, if you know what I mean. And what about Ryann, you ask? Allow me to explain Ry’s absence from megryann for a good few months in one word: doctor-in-training. You get the picture.
Nevertheless, I’m back, and boy have I missed blogging…and doing my nails. Honestly, when you’re busy and in a time-crunch, the last thing you want to be spending precious minutes on is indulgently painting your nails (and inevitably waiting for them to dry). Talk about conscience-plaguing guilt. Hence, I actually haven’t painted my nails in a good four weeks. So, what topic could be more appropriate for this time-pressed period of our lives than one-coat wonders? (Greatest. Segue. Ever.)
You see, a third of the battle of doing your nails is perfecting the timing of when to apply a second coat. Jump the gun and, and you’ll drag the first coat along with the brush. Another third of the battle is mastering just how thick that coat should be. Add too much product and you’ll be waiting a fortnight for that crap to dry (I exaggerate). Don’t add enough, and you’ll be going in for a third coat. (I chalk the other third of the battle up to having a steady hand and getting most of the paint on your actual nail as opposed to your cuticles or skin. This is tricky business people.)
Given the choice, who wouldn’t want to avoid the absolute pain of applying more than one coat of polish? Answer: no one. So to save yourself the time, pain, and frustration, I’ve compiled a list of my go-to one-coat wonders.
1. Revlon’s Top Speed Fast Dry Nail Enamel in Fire (510). This is by far my favourite shade of red polish. Think: Taylor Swift’s lipstick in a bottle.
2. Essie’s Sure Shot (791), the most flattering dark red-y pink-y magenta-y colour ever. It looks fantastic on the hands and feet, and is universally flattering (if the universe included Ry, my mum, three of my friends, and myself).
3. Essie’s make some noise (1122): a more recent release (Essie neon’s 2015 collection), this is a bright, bold, and beautiful blue, perfect for the summer.
4. Cake’s coco+lulu in Champagne (5259) is an oldie but a goodie. Truth be told, I’m not entirely sure it’s still available, but you can never go wrong with glittery polish (unless we’re talking removal…).
5. When all else fails: clear (specifically Sally Hansen’s Insta-Dri in Clearly Quick (110)). There’s no rule stating that you can’t use clear polish to look polished. In fact, in most of the books I’ve read, the astute lawyer, ambitious entrepreneur, or witty writer are all sporting a “smart, clear manicure.” So take a leaf out of their book (haha), and rock that barely visible coat of clear.
And there you have it! This certainly isn’t an all-inclusive list. I guarantee there are plenty more one-coat wonders out there in the polish world if not in our collection. In any case…
’til next time,